Week 15

Wednesday  June 24 2020.

I sort of got distracted from this journal for the past seven weeks it seems.   My daughter Jana back in May told me she was coming up to visit me here in Bandon, so what was my normal life got put on hold for a bit so that I could prepare the house for her visit.   She then visited here for 3 weeks.     She has just gotten her learners permit, so we spent most days driving from here to other surrounding towns.     There are no mountain curvy roads down in Santa Clara, so it was good practice for her.    I loved having her here.    I don't get to feel like a dad much anymore so it means a lot to me when a kid visits or calls. 


During her visit, I had finally gone out and bought that 5 gallons of paint ($185) I have always threatened myself to do, so that I could finally paint my house.   The only two houses I have ever bought in my life have both been blue, and though blue is a fine color in and of itself, I have never liked blue on a house.      The house in Santa Clara took a few years to finally get it painted to a suitably Santa Clara color yellow with green trim.    About 10 years after that I spent a couple of weeks repainting the house trim a deeper dark red.


















**********

I have been here in this house almost 3 years now and it is the classic "Bandon Blue", and I have never liked the color.    I have always leaned more towards a more Bandon like dark reddish brown.  Finally, with Jana here, she helped me choose "Espresso", so I have been going at it for the past 3 weeks, never more than an hour or so a day.    I am at a point now where I have only about 20 feet left in the back and the 5 gallon bucket is on fumes.    I don't think its going to make it, so I will probably buy one more gallon of espresso, which will finish it, and then leave extra for touch ups as they are needed.


Changes tend to Cascade.    The house painting has led to a need to paint the underlying concrete block foundation (to Bandon Blue.  It just happened.), so I need another gallon of that.   The house painting has also led to me having to restain all 3 of my decks.  I have already done two of them, so just have to do the third back one.   I have also started to repaint the small patio on the west side of the house, and will then have to address the floor and walls and ceiling of the garage.    Also the fireplace, which is 40 years old and needs a face lift.     I guess this is my summer of painting things.


There has been a lot going on at the national level this past seven weeks.   Much more on the current pandemic, which is still raging, and a few weeks of RACE RIOTS.   Chaos and mismanagement at the federal level in all of it.    I will talk about that in my next post.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 8